PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Recognition lights - when should be used?
Old 14th Aug 2011, 22:54
ahramin

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Flyer696, you aren't going to find any regulations on recog lights as they are not a required light. Instead you need to THINK about what they are for.

Recog lights are there to increase your visibility to aircraft or birds in front of you, so any time you are in a situation where it would be helpful to increase your visibility, that's when you use them. I usually turn them on at the start of the takeoff roll with the landing lights, and leave them on for the first 3000' of the climb, longer in high density airspace.

Not all recog lights blink.

From the Mooney Manual, which I hope you went through
18. RECOGNITION LIGHT (LITE) (If installed)
Recognition light combination switch/circuit breaker turns recognition light ON. Should a short occur, combination switch/circuit breaker will automatically trip to OFF position.
19. TAXI LIGHT (TAXI LITE) SWITCHES (L & R)
20. LANDING LIGHT (LDG LITE) SWITCHES (L & R)
Select and push split switches to turn desired set of lights ON. Push switches OFFto turn desired set of lights off. Lights should be operated only for short time periods while not in flight to preclude overheating of lamps. Overload protection is achieved by circuit breakers in panel.
In the case of the Seneca where you can have either the landing lights or the recog lights on, I would recommend only using the recog function during the day, might get very annoying at night.