PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF centrifuge video
View Single Post
Old 14th Aug 2011, 20:14
Lou Scannon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was nominally on the staff at IAM and remember Gp Capt Tony Barwood with fond memories. He was a force to be reckoned with...but always on the side of us aircrew.

I remember when a team from a far eastern country were entertained to lunch in the Officers' Mess...much against the Group Captains instincts, having seen the British Servicemen who had been their Emperors "Guests" during the war. He refused to have lunch with them and as they entered the anti-room afterwards simply stood up and announced in a loud voice:

"Bit of a Nip in the air this morning!" before stomping out.

...and he did stomp as he had taken to wearing a pair of flying boots that he had removed from a Phantom pilot who no longer had need for them. He explained his dress with the words that in his opinion, the chances of two men dying in the same pair of boots was pretty remote.

...it is worth mentioning that I have omitted all the "F's" and "B's" that he would have peppered his comments with!

He was a man with whom most aircrew were totally unaware, but he was probably more responsible for saving their lives behind the scenes than anyone else.

I only achieved the distinction of receiving praise from him on one occasion...and that concerned bringing a donkey into the Institute. A story that is best left untold!