PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hour Building / USA, Nam, SA or elsewhere..
Old 14th Aug 2011, 17:39
Carbo 9

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi SoCal App,

Thanks. Sorry, I shortened the post which I used on a South African forum and some of the meaning was lost.

I strongly considered the FAA CPL, but realised that I will then require at least 300 hours, which would then remove all potential cost benefits - in relation to doing a South African CAA CPL (for which I believe 200 hours are sufficient).

Therefore I am considering only going to the USA to build hours, without any official training and then to return to South Africa afterward to complete our local curriculum and flight tests to qualify for a SA CAA CPL.

I understand that the FAA will recognise my South African PPL and that I would not have to do any training if I only wish to build solo cross country hours. The problem then is the visa.

If I cannot obtain any other visas, I think this can be overcome if I enroll in a Part 141 flight school and still request the school to limit my flying to the type of hours I need for my SA CAA CPL license.

I would, however, not wish to limit myself to a student visa from the outset as this will have certain limitations, such as schools which I can attend and the requirement that I will then have to show that I have enough funds to complete the entire FAA CPL course, regardless of whether I intend to complete the full course in the end or not.

Ideally, I would have loved to complete the entire FAA CPL course (I believe it makes you so much more employable and I would prefer to see the training through to the end), but my paltry sum is unlikely to accomplish this enviable feat.

So basically I would like to know where to spend US$25,000 in the best possible way to work toward becoming a professional pilot (after already having done +- 60 hours during my PPL).

I think my options are limited to building hours in the US or in SA and then to complete the SA CAA CPL, but would be very glad to hear if there are any other viable options available.

Thanks for the reply!