PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Direct Entry Hiring
View Single Post
Old 14th Aug 2011, 14:09
IFB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Actually I think with current trends you would more likely be a JFO. At present it is over 4 years to JFO and with new Flight Time limits on the way, plus fleet expansion I can only realistically see that time increasing. I may be wrong on this, but that is my best guess. What I would say is any info you are given stating less than 4 years to JFO is hugely optimistic at best.

However, even if you make FO you still have to take into account how your life will change over that period. Most people want to get married and have a family and save for the future. This means you would need a bigger place and to pay for school fees plus extra food energy etc. All of which is going to eat into that 93K at an alarming rate, not to mention inflation. By the way do not bank on pay rises helping with inflation. The last pay rise took 10 years!!!!! Additionally HK seems to be bucking the global trend with house/rent prices soaring. You could take a gamble that that will level out/reverse, but are you really willing to gamble your future families lifestyle on that?

Allowances vary from city to city, but if you are thinking about using them to supplement your income then the alarm bells should already be ringing. Even if I lived on noodles during my patterns and did not go out at all the additional cash saved would be enough to give me perhaps 2 decent nights out a month in HK ie 3-4000HKD.

In my opinion if you are early to mid 20’s, single, no aviation experience and prepared to live with mates for a few years then CX is a possible starter airline. Once the loan is paid off and you have some relevant experience 7-9 yrs at a guess then you could look at another legacy carrier in cheaper locations and still be young enough to start from the bottom. However if you
are 28+ by the time you break free of the loan with the necessary experience starting at the bottom with nothing behind you finically is going to
be tough especially on a family. Do you really want to be 35+ before you can even think about a pension, descent family holiday, house with more than2 bedrooms etc!