PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Should you wish to live in Blighty.....
View Single Post
Old 14th Aug 2011, 10:37
Old King Coal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I, for one, certainly wasn't born with a 'silver spoon in my mouth', indeed I don't even remember having a spoon (queue the 'Yorkshiremen' sketch)... and therein I can attest that this was not easy an easy club to join, and that it was much to do with sheer bloody mindedness on my part (which probably accounts for why I don't take any **** from management... 'coz, to get where I am today, I paid my apprenticeship dues, and just who the fook are they?! ); Yep, it took me f'ing ages and I worked in all manner of jobs to pay for it; but get there I did, in the end !

I do however agree that for the last few years (certainly so since self-funded Type-Ratings became the norm for entry level jobs) that it's become a rich boys club... and that, in more than a few instances (when training these folk), it's become apparent that a number of them have joined the club more so due to them having the funds, rather than due to them possessing (much as I might hate the expression) the 'right-stuff' !

Whilst this new 'scheme' (scam? ) no doubt provides some good PR for BA, with an £84,000 entry fee, it will not help to level the playing field.