PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What is it about the Wessex that makes people so fond of it?
Old 14th Aug 2011, 10:00
Nigel Osborn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sav

Very interesting! Slim Sear was a great bloke & took me out for dinner twice at Farnborough as I had 2 girls visiting & he made a foursome! Slim is flying one of the refueling Wessex, quite a straight forward operation but not really practical. The Wessex he is climbing into had the short original exhaust pipe, ok in England where you kept the back door shut but no good in the tropics as the cabin filled with exhaust when the main door was open for ventilation. Hence the longer pipe was fitted.

The late John White is on the ground in the middle of the front row, along with Gordon Bradley, Pat McHaffey & myself; too small a photo for me to recognise the others.

The Nanga write up is not correct, both Wessex Mk1 of 845 fell into the river & thanks to the depth & very strong current were never located by the divers. Only one person survived the accident, Petty Officer Crispin, who went out the open main door into the river & only had minor injuries.

One day I'll work out how to load photos!!