PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates delays
Thread: Emirates delays
View Single Post
Old 18th Oct 2002, 09:27
Big_Yellow_Bird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im not entirely sure how the system works around the UAE under IFR as I have only done a lot of private flying around the UAE. However, on 2 occasions when returning towards DXB from RAK, there was some communication problems between Dubai Approach and Sharjah Tower. On both occasions I was flying at 1500' and approximately 15 DME from SHJ. I was on Dubai approach and when approaching SHJ I was told to contact them. I called SHJ Tower and after a brief message to the controller I was told

"Fox Tango you should not be with me, please contact Dubai Approach."

I explained I was already handed off to SHJ, however the controller insisted I go back to approach.

I called Dubai Approach again and explained I was told to turn back to this frequency. This was followed by a rather frustrating response from the controller.

"Negative Fox Tango, please call SHJ Tower 118.6."

This response was followed by a rather angry sounding mumble from the controller.

Slightly confused, I called back SHJ Tower, explaining that Approach had insisted I should be with SHJ. The controller was not a happy bunny. Surprisingly, the controller began his reply with.

"My God, there goes approach playing their little games again."

After all that fuss and confusion I must have only been 8 DME out and was cleared to cross SHJ.

This may not have anything to do with delays into Dubai, but after hearing the above first hand I was wandering if there is ever a lack of communication between the different control stations. I have done a lot of flying out of DXB and normally the controllers do a stand up job with everything, especially if they have to try and squeeze myself in a warrior into DXB while there are heaps of jets taking off and landing at night. But on this occasion I found everything to be quite odd.

Do any of you guys ever experience problems in communication between different control centres while on approach?

Cheers

BYB