PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin drops below assigned altitude into Melbourne
Old 13th Aug 2011, 22:50
Keg

Nunc est bibendum

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like good advice in that aimimg for something that is impossible will only frustrate you.
Tony Kern (and probably a bunch of others too but it's been a few years since I got into the research data) would disagree.

Human error is the thief of human
happiness and the slayer of dreams,
careers, potential, and all too frequently - life itself. Viewing it as anything less hostile is to willfully expose your throat
to the knife.

Tony Kern
Blue Threat
Having done one of Tony's seminars, his thinking on errors, their prevalence, their tacit acceptance (as some have demonstrated on this thread), their mitigation, is quite enlightening.

Putting Tony's principles to the test is hard work. Contrary to framer's assertion, it's not frustrating, it's actually very rewarding. I haven't had the 'perfect flight' yet- and to be honest, some days I just forget to apply all his principles- but the days I apply his principles, my error rate is decreased and my ability to capture errors in others increases.

Consider if this way. If you're prepared to accept a 90% when 80% is the 'pass mark', you'll be in strife when one day the circumstances conspire to require a 98% in order to stay alive. Aircraft prangs continue to highlight this point- Air France being a recent example.

If you haven't read Tony's books, it's worth doing so.