PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 6
View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2011, 21:07
Clandestino

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by HarryMan
But please don't think you'll ever avoid stalls 100%
It's type specific. First time I stall my current aeroplane, remaining lifespan of my passengers, my crew and me will be measured in seconds. 200 is very best we can hope for or perhaps it would be: the shorter, the better. I can understand the irresistible temptation to indulge in aeronautical generalizations based on single or few cases as I'll be first to admit it's boring, very uncool and perhaps even a bit frightening to rationally debate positively lethal stall characteristics of some T-tailed turboprop regionals and ways of dealing with them. Here we have real-life-case-study of heavy jet that even didn't spin at extreme AoA so we can indulge in heavily romantic notions such as: "they could have recovered it if: computers let them, they had yokes, stall warning didn't stop, they didn't fly into the storm (they didn't anyway), protections were working, it wasn't Airbus" or whatever half-informed mind would come up with.

Originally Posted by HarryMan
and again, come back from the precipice of l/h and r/h sidesticks. They are NOT a good ergonomic solution
Personally I find them acceptable. I have flown yokes with right and left hand, centrally mounted stick with right and left hand, sidestick with right hand, didn't find anything difficult or unacceptable about any of them and loved to handfly any aeroplane I was given at the time. A320 was by far nicest and easiest transport aeroplane I've flown though to be fair, I must add that it is also the only jet I'm rated on. She was docile even in direct law although I haven't experienced it outside the sim and I've come across only one pilot who got it on line (dual radalt fault). He claims it was even easier than sim and knowing him, I'll take his word for it.

It would seem that Airbus, Lockheed Martin (ex General Dynamics), Dassault, Sukhoi OKB and Cirrus are not believers in ergonomical unacceptability of sidestick.