PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Saudi/Kuwait payscales
View Single Post
Old 18th Oct 2002, 07:57
Captain Sand Dune

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The money to be made in Saudi Arabia is great - whether you're Brit, Aussie, Kiwi, Canadian or Southe African. As I have said before in so many words - be under no illusions why you're paid that sort of money. Working relations with the RSAF have improved because a couple of the more pysco personalities in charge have moved on. That could quite easily change.
There are some among us who percieve that this contract in its present form does not have much longer to run. Aircrew recruiting for the PC-9/C-172 has been paused, and there is much speculation about the security of non-aircrew positions. A BAe Systems review of expat manpower in Saudi Arabia has recently been completed. The results of this review are not yet available, however all indications are that cuts will be made - the only question is how many.
I would advise against planning on a long term tenure out here.
In my opinion the quality of life out here has changed. Recent world events have, for many reasons, caused an uneasiness among mnay expats. Others here may dis-agree, but I have noticed an increasing anti-expat sentiment among the local populace. Does anyone REALLY believe the recent bombings were solely the work of feuding expat booze lords?
If you're still keen - go for it! But keep your eyes and ears open and make hay while the sun shines.