PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot handling skills under threat, says Airbus
Old 13th Aug 2011, 12:52
bubbers44

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is a book written by a US journalist - I'm sorry but forget the name of both - which tells the story of the Hudson airbus. There were many interviews with senior Airbus development pilots and designers. One of the comments is that the a/c did what it was designed to do, more than the piloting skills. A lesser a/c would have needed much more skill to achieve what this one did. Perhaps true, I don't know. I've always thought that the real skill in that scenario was to make the ditching decision in the first place. I suspect many lesser experienced captains, of which there are a great many, would have followed their homing instinct and tried to make it to a runway with most likely horrific consequences.
Seems like quite a biased interview with the Airbus guys. Sully could have landed a B737 or 757 just as easily. He flared properly making sure he didn't stall and touched down at the right attitude wings level. That is about all you can do in that situation. Read his book, he never once said the systems helped him and they didn't. The Airbus not stalling in normal law was about the only thing that would help a bad pilot ditch.