PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AAC MIDDLE WALLOP
View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2011, 09:17
Toddington Ted

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Training RAF pilots at Sandhurst is a top idea. The RAF Officer Training System is dreadful, especially the leadership training which is probably not much different to that conducted in Tescos (but with boots). The IOT course was extended by 3 months a few years back specifically to address leadership but some schooly-lefty pinko didn't make the connection with 'Military Leadership' so it's all group hug stuff and geared around admin staff." I have to disagree with that as its now out of date.

Although what is considered to be "robust training" varies depending upon how the term robust is interpreted, IOT has indeed been the subject of some adverse criticism, and I should know, having made some critical comments myself as an instructor of ex-IOT students on a Phase 2 course, but there has been a relatively recent overhaul of the IOT course, seemingly for the better as regards leadership and military values etc. Another issue is that the RAF, like most of the Military, can currently afford to be very choosy about who makes the grade and who doesn't. However, once the recruiting machine has to start winding up again (which it always does) there is always a temptation to let people through on the benefit of the doubt (Blimey, I bet one of them was me!)
As regards location, RAF Cranwell will always be the spiritual home of the RAF and so will never close (probably, well, who knows...).