PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - HIRTA
Thread: HIRTA
View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2011, 08:55
IO540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just wrap some bacofoil around your g00lies

Or perhaps not; it might come in handy if your relationship is a bit rocky Or you want to conceive some 6-fingered kids, for Hollywood alien movies.

Seriously, I cannot believe the radiation from those sites could possibly endanger life. Some are laser sites, some are microwave communications sites. If they radiated something truly hazardous like e.g. 1 megawatt on a 1m diameter beam, the countryside would be covered in dead (probably fried) birds.

The hazards do exist e.g. I have two documented failures (both pitch servo burnouts) of my KFC225 autopilot over the same lat/long spot in France. As far as I was able to make enquiries, indirectly obviously, to the French military, there is "nothing there", but there is a danger area there with no special hazards marked. I guess it is a ground-air tracking (missile) radar and the crew are having a but of a laaff.

But with so many GA aircraft operating under little or no navigation, loads of people fly through these things, so they (in the UK anyway) cannot be that hazardous.