PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Landing issue
Thread: Landing issue
View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2011, 08:03
FlyingStone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, if we are going to be picky here, I don't think you can destroy (literally speaking) the entire lift, even if you maintain the aircraft in fully stalled condition. Once you reach maximum lift coefficient, still increasing the angle of attack will reduce the lift (by reducing the lift coefficient) and we know this as stalled wing. But I wouldn't use the word destroy, more spoil/reduce, since the lift actually exists way past the stalling angle of attack - it is just too small to create an equilibrium with lift and therefore the aircraft will be descending.

Less on the grammar, more on the topic now. I think it is very important, I could say even vital to understand the theory behind flying the aircraft, be it aerodynamics, construction, systems, instruments, performance, etc. But as you all know it, one can have 5 PhDs in aerodynamics, yet only practice, more practice and finally - much more practice will allow him to fly the aircraft consistently well (including landings). I agree that we can give the OP some pointers on how to make his landings better, but they can only go that far, the rest will have to be practiced in the real aicraft in different conditions in order for the skill to develop, and then practiced regulary so that newly attained skill doesn't fade away.

All in all, I think people are complicating landing techniques. If you aren't limited by runway length (e.g. C172 on a 1500+ m runway), hold off the aircraft as long as you can, grease the landing and then hold the nose gear off the ground for as long as you have sufficient elevator authority - the engine and nose wheel assembly will be very grateful. But please, don't complicate landings at short airfield: fly the approach with the speed in the manual, power off at 50ft, flare the aircraft just enough to touch down with main wheels only, slightly reduce back pressure on the stick/column for the nose wheel to touchdown and then simultaneously apply brakes as required and slowly pull the stick to its back stop (warning: doing this too fast could raise the nose significantly with some aircraft with very good elevator authority at low speeds, mostly T-tails) to ensure maximum braking efficiency. Nobody cares if you make a bit harder landing on a short runway and stop before the end, but I think nobody will be particulary happy if you grease the landing and end up in trees at the end of the runway.