PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Landing issue
Thread: Landing issue
View Single Post
Old 12th Aug 2011, 15:26
Shaggy Sheep Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Even on a short runway?
Oh yes! Especially on a short runway! The object is to dissipate the energy in the air, so that on touch down the aeroplane has minimum speed and will roll to a stop in the minimum length possible. This does not preclude touching down at your aiming point, just in from the downwind end of the runway.

But use your short runway sensibly - don't float along for ages because you approached far too fast; get the approach speed right first! The last thing one should do (and this is far from uncommon) is to approach far too fast, force it onto the ground (yer 3-point trike landing), then stand on the brakes! If you land your trike on all 3 at once, you have put it down at far too high an airspeed. The nosewheel isn't designed to absorb much of that sort of mistreatment, and it indicates a poor basic landing skill level.

Some have questioned the fully-held-off technique for x-winds and for non-GA types. I distinctly posted that the technique is for light SEPs (where my 32 years of experience lies) and perhaps not for strong x-winds (though in the right aeroplane with sensitive and powerful controls right down the stall, that's OK as well). I perhaps should have added gusty days as well.

3-pointing a taildragger guarantees it touches down at or close to the minimum speed possible (if it's going any faster, the mains will touch first). There are occasions (very gusty days for instance, or in strong winds even if down the runway, which cause turbulence) when one might want to touch down at a higher speed. That's what wheeler landings are for.

Again, the above might not be relevant for heavy metal, carriers (deffo not appropriate for carrier ops!), water landings etc. Just for light GA.

Last edited by Shaggy Sheep Driver; 12th Aug 2011 at 15:44.