PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Landing issue
Thread: Landing issue
View Single Post
Old 12th Aug 2011, 13:45
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am not familiar with Pace's operations, but agree that he probably has valid points.
Pilot Dar

I am purely pointing out two misconceptions in the thread! The first that a Greaser has anything to do with holding off and being near the stall but everything to do with the rate of descent at touchdown (the nearer 0 at touchdown the better the greaser! whether that is at 50 kts or 150 kts, whether that is near the stall or 30 kts above it makes no difference to a Greaser.
The other misconception is that to land you have to be at the point that the aircraft stops flying.
Again totally untrue infact in certain situations holding off near the stall is a very hazardous exercise.
An aircraft can land near the stall at the slowest speed possible for the shortest landing distance to stop or an aircraft can land way above the stall even at cruise speed clean.
In certain situations you will need to have 1.3 x the stall speed plus half the gust factor or more.
Maybe pilots of PA28s should try high speed landing clean on suitable runways as touch and goes just to see that landing is not connected other than for minimum stop distance to the stall.
Higher speeds take more skill as with higher speed comes more elevator authority for less control movement so elevator movements will be smaller but a skill worth practising.

Pace