PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL(A) Vs PPL(H)
View Single Post
Old 17th Oct 2002, 21:17
Whirlybird

The Original Whirly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I wasn't quite in your position, but close. I got myself a PPL(A), flew for a year, then decided to get a trial helicopter lesson just for something different. I got hooked almost instantly - well, as soon as I attempted to hover anyway. I just HAD to do it! So I went for a full day to get it out of my system, then decided I'd got to learn to hover properly, then figured I might as well get a PPL(H), then realised I'd never be able to afford it much so why not get a CPL(H) and get paid to fly, only there wasn't any work so...I need another 12 hours to do an instructors course, and maybe, finally, get paid to fly helicopters, before I run out of money. And I struggle to do enough hours to keep my PPL(A) too. So yes, I understand your dilemma. But I can't solve it for you. But unless JAR has changed things, the ground exams are almost the same, though you'll have to do most if not all of the flying, if (when?) you decide to do both. Which of course is the way to go if you can afford it. Let us know how you get on.