PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Landing issue
Thread: Landing issue
View Single Post
Old 12th Aug 2011, 10:33
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shaggy

try to keep the aeroplane in the air as long as possible - try to stop it from landing -
I do not have tailwheel experience other than a couple of hours years back so bow to your superior knowledge. All you have advised is excellent the only issue I would take up with you is the snippet above.
Unless you are a fair weather pilot only which many are that technique would get you into big problems on windy days with crosswind and down draughts.
Holding off in crosswinds and down draughts near the stall is asking for problems.

There is a misconception about landing! In still air we want to land at the slowest speed possible and at a speed that the aircraft wont continue flying ie floating down the runway. Although an aircraft will land quite happily while still flying
Full flap (if the aircraft is fitted with flaps) will reduce the stall speed as well as adding drag.
But throw all that out of the window for a second? Does an aircraft have to be landed with that technique NO!
Does an aircraft have to be landed near the stall? NO
I can remember landing a Citation at Gatwick one winter winds where 45 gusting 70 kts 20 degrees off the runway.
The worst part was wind shear down the approach so much that speed was jumping 30 kts up and down.
I held 170 kts most of the way down adding 20 kts to VREF and flying the aircraft onto the deck.
The Citation could be landed at any speed within flap and gear limits if you are skillfull enough.
OK I am being pedantic in splitting landing aircraft at a slow as possible speed normally 1.3 Xs the stall over the fence and highlighting the fact that that does not equal landing in all situations.
I will also add something controversial that floating is a reflection of pilot technique not landing the aircraft too fast.An aircraft floating is still flying yet an aircraft can quite happily land while still flying!
Different horses for different courses and different landing techniques for different situations

Pace

Last edited by Pace; 12th Aug 2011 at 11:37.