PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Future Pilot Programme (FPP)(Merged)
View Single Post
Old 12th Aug 2011, 09:26
Jumpjim

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As somebody who went through the cadetship scheme in 1990 at Prestwick and is now online at BA flying 777s, may I humbly make the following observations having read through some posts on the thread:

Posts along the lines of "I have the following qualifications but wonder if they are too business orientated?" etc..

- If you meet the basic requirements as laid out in the scheme documentation, and your application form is well presented then it is likely you will get an interview. When I applied in 1990 we allegedly had around 33,000 applicants for about 200 places. The application form alone weeds out a considerable number of people who, even though they don't meet the application criteria, still apply.

This isn't meant to say that if you don't meet the criteria then you are unable to pass the course or fly aircraft, it's simply a method of reducing the applicant numbers to something that is manageable for selection.

I've read a couple of posts along the lines of "It will be running for a few years so go to Uni first and then apply afterwards".

In 1990 I had a place at Manchester University and withdrew to commence pilot training at Prestwick. If I had gone to university then I would have missed out as the cadetship scheme closed during my time training at Prestwick.

As it currently stands, seniority affects EVERY aspect of your life within BA, from which trips you can expect to get, to which fleet you are able to bid on to, and also affects your time to command. I would HIGHLY recommend getting in at your first available opportunity.

This is a golden opportunity.... If you want the job then apply! Be positive, do your homework as to what to expect during selection and go for it!

BA is a wonderful place to work, the job is fantastic, well paid, and hugely enjoyable and I regularly thank my lucky stars that I go to work and get paid for doing a job that I genuinely enjoy.

I will answer any questions I can if you have any burning ones...