PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mr Petter's Baby Jet - The Folland Gnat
View Single Post
Old 12th Aug 2011, 07:52
Halton Brat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BEagle

In the week before XR541's Mona incident, I sweated blood over that jet in order to eliminate a 'hands-off' roll to stbd (Mr Petter considered aileron trim a bit girly, clearly). Despite my best efforts, this proved to be extremely difficult; repeated Test Flights showed only marginal improvement. I began to wonder if we had a twisted airframe & did datum checks etc, to no avail. In the end, I slaughtered a goat & read its' entrails; this revealed to me a course of remedial action that, even to this day, I am not at liberty to divulge. Problem solved.

As I recall, the front seater QFI in the Mona episode (no spool-up on roller landing?) was Flt Lt Tony D****e, who I subsequently worked with in 4FTS Ground School. The venerable (& previously discussed on PPruNe) Flt Lt Douggie Mee was in the back seat. All ended well, despite having driven through the wooden fence, methinks.

Tony D also had to functionally test his bang seat when he had a Gnat fuel pump(?) failure on short finals at Valley in '78(?); he & his stude were able to enjoy a stroll on the beach whilst waiting for 22 Sqn's taxi cab.

Happy days of my youth; nostalgia is not what it used to be..............

HB

Last edited by Halton Brat; 12th Aug 2011 at 08:33.