PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Landing issue
Thread: Landing issue
View Single Post
Old 12th Aug 2011, 06:38
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DAR, I'm a little perplexed at the adulation for the "technique" Bramson mentions above as all I could think was "I wasn't aware that there was any other way to land?". I can't really see any revolutionary tidbits or nuggets of advice in it. How would one else land without progressively flaring and slowing down? Is there some other technique widely adopted I've somehow missed? That's how we all land, albeit some better than others.
Adam

There are other methods of landing. Airlines now positively do not want pilots holding off in the flair as they sail past the numbers trying to get the gentlest contact some way down the runway.
A greaser as many have put it here has nothing to do with landing near the stall and flaring progressively.
A greaser is when at the point of contact between the tyres and the surface the rate of vertical descent is zero or as close to zero as possible.
You could equally make a greaser landing the club PA28 at 110 kts clean as you could at 65kts if your skills and a dollop of luck were up to it!
In a windy gusty day the last thing you want to be doing is the advice above.
On a short runway you may not want to do the above!
In a strong crosswind you may not want to do the above.
There are times when you need to put it down to be blunt!!
In fact one of my best greasers was while putting it down in strong wind conditions. My PAX thought we had not landed But that was more luck than anything else!
so a greaser is not about how you get to the point of contacting the ground but the vertical speed on contact.
That could be with the column back in your chest near the stall or at 200kts. Mind you you would never stop

Pace

Last edited by Pace; 12th Aug 2011 at 08:36.