PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL(A) Vs PPL(H)
View Single Post
Old 17th Oct 2002, 19:51
formationfoto

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should you buy a saloon car or a two seats sports version? or maybe a motorbike?. This really is an impossible question to answer withoyut understanding, motivation, financial standing, likely uses, etc... etc....
Rotary is expensive to learn and even more expensive to operate. Keeping the licence current is more time and cost consuming, you will need a rating for each type you want to fly. Self ownership is v. expensive - insurance on an R22 can be as expansive as buying a fixed wing aircraft!. Rotary is not great for regular lengthy business trips single handed - a well equipped twin would be a better bet. R22s don't like being turned upside down so aeros are pretty much out of the question (at least repeat aeros - you will achieve it once but never again).
The range of fixed wing is extensive from slow and cheap two (or even single) seaters to eight or ten seat bizjets.

Personally - just because it is the way I did it I would go for fixed wing first which gives you a relatively stable platform to learn navigation and instruments as well as basic flight, then add rotary at a later stage.

S you don't get to take off and land in your own garden and can't turn up for business meetings and land in the car park but you do get a good grounding in private aviation.

Bad to generalise but I have seen a number of well off helo pilots be so keen on flying their status machines that they have no idea at all about airmanship and basic aviation. This happens in other streams of aviation of course (and used to happen in the microlight world) but most fixed wing types seem more keen to learn the important stuff rather than looking for a quick pose. I repeat an over generalisation and there are a large number of excellent rotary only pilots out there.

Whichever you chose make sure you add in other types and ratings. choice and variety is the best kick.