PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's the latest news of the V22 Osprey?
Old 12th Aug 2011, 01:44
SASless

Received 516 Likes on 215 Posts
Again Sultan......same sound systems, same location, same distance from the sound sensors?

No.....thus apples and oranges as to being an empirical test.

Now tell us again how it is only a caution light that comes on after a failure of the I-Shafts? How does that work?

If Ali Taliban smacks an RPG into the engine nacelle of an Osprey....and takes out one end of the I-Shaft and the ass end of the engine at the same time...and the Osprey is at three hundred feet AGL and say fifty knots....thus rendering the aircraft OEI and no I-Shaft....how does the Pilot handle that situation?

An excerpt from an Aviation Technical Magazine article about the Osprey....

Traditionally, autorotation is a required air-worthiness capability for military rotorcraft. High rotor disk loading and low rotor inertia places V-22 well outside the nominal autorotation envelope of existing rotorcraft. Basic rotorcraft engineering analysis indicates that the V-22 will have a difficult time achieving a stable autorotation following a sudden power failure at high power setting, and that the probability of a successful autorotational landing from a stable autorotative descent is very low.
Seems to be pretty much like a Chinook at the same point, speed, and all when an RPG takes out the Synch shaft is it not?

Last edited by SASless; 12th Aug 2011 at 01:58.