PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 wreckage found
View Single Post
Old 11th Aug 2011, 23:34
ChristiaanJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DozyWannabe
@ChristiaanJ - I'm not talking about "on the edge" training in sims for line flight crew, I'm talking about basic manual handling - turns, pitch management, stall warning recoveries and the requisite amount of sidestick manipulation for each.
@DozyWannabe - I'm not querying the pilots' basic manual handling skills either (none of them were tyros), but I have my doubts about their skills at handling the 'brown matter hitting the ventilator' at FL350 entering the ITCZ.....

A long way away from the 'engine failure at V1' in the sim.... which seems to be the usual thing they get thrown at them during a sim check (I'm exaggerating of course, but I would be sure they'd never seen anything even remotely resembling the "AF447 scenario" in the sim, ever.)

To all intents and purposes it looks like this guy controlled a perfectly flyable airliner (albeit with minor systems degradation) into a full stall -which he neither recognised nor was able to recover from - by significantly overcontrolling at altitude.
So far, I agree with your remarks ..... and I admit to being equally baffled.....

Maybe this was the first time an A330 ended up in a fully developed stall, and the PF was not a test pilot?
Maybe, like in the olden days, an early A330 should have been taken into a full stall, and the data recorded, with a large parachute in the tail, and an escape chute and parachutes for the pilots? We had both on Concorde.....