PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - V2 Climb question
View Single Post
Old 11th Aug 2011, 21:14
westhawk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This whole discussion seems to revolve around a varying understanding of what V2 is and is not.

My take:

V2 IS a performance speed for OEI operations.
V2 is NOT a performance speed for AEO.

As previously noted, V2 is not intended to be, nor was it established as an AEO performance speed. It is a speed selected by the manufacturer to achieve the most favorable performance under the engine failure at Vef scenario used for aircraft certification purposes. Picture the segmented takeoff performance graphic taught in so many type rating courses and airline ground schools.

Since typical V2 speeds are on the order of around 1.2 times the unaccelerated stalling speed for the selected takeoff configuration, very little excess maneuvering margin is available. Hence the 15 degree bank assumption built into OEI procedures. If an engine went inop while maneuvering AOE at V2, aggressive and precise action would be required very quickly to keep the speed from approaching a very critical value. I wouldn't bet on what percentage of pilots would successfully recover to a safe speed without trading some altitude.

In any case, V2 is a OEI speed, you don't benefit from being that slow when maximum propulsion is available. So I believe the Captain who flies this unusual seeming departure at the somewhat higher than V2 speed is more correct than the ones who think V2 is the speed to fly.

That's my $.02 worth.