PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Rotary Nostalgia Thread
View Single Post
Old 11th Aug 2011, 21:02
Savoia

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dear Chris

I'm sorry that there haven't yet been any 'bites' in response to your post but, Rotorheads is an unpredictable place so keep checking because someone may well come back with some interesting information.

In the meantime what I can do is highlight some of the history behind G-BRMH which previously flew as G-BBUX; a craft covered earlier in this thread.

BBUX was imported by CSE (she was a Bell) in 1973 and was sold to William Monks of Sheffield in 1974. I know very little about Monks other than apart from being a builders merchant, William Monks had a passion for rotorcraft. Dennis Kenyon was also involved in this sale:

Dennis Kenyon wrote: I purchased two B206s one week and registered them consecutively G-BBUX and G-BBUY. I sold G-BBUX to a Mr Bill Gates of the Monks Group but taught him to fly on an Enstrom from his Hunstanton holiday home which you could do in those days. Most of the flying was done at Norwich Airport. Being a weighty fellah, he hated the piston and in short time, I took the Enstrom, G-BBBZ back for the new Bell. The price for a new Forth Worth B206 was £84,000 believe it or not. The Enstrom 28A just £23,000.
In 1977 Monks would buy the Agusta-built 206 G-WIZZ from Mann's which was later acquired by one of Dennis Kenyon's business partners, Peter Millward. Prior to her delivery to Sheffield, WIZZ sailed into Fairoaks from Agusta's facility in Frosinone (south east of Rome along the road to Napoli) courtesy of PPRuNer Geoffersincornwall. WIZZ's delivery story can be read on page 2 where you will also find the 'Wizz the Bizz' poem. A photo of WIZZ on the tarmac at Gatwick (during her delivery flight) can be found on page 3.

The helicopter industry can get a little incestuous at times, as you will see from the following: From Monks BBUX was bought by Mann's who sold her to Peter Cadbury becoming (in 1975) The Cad's second 206 after G-BAKU. Photos of BBUX in the Air Pegasus (Peter Cadbury's charter company) livery can be seen on page 20. Also on page 20 is a photo of the great Mike Smith from his Air Gregory days. Further images, courtesy of PPRuNer Helipixman, of both BAKU and BBUX, appear on page 22.

From Cadbury's BBUX went on to British Car Auctions and eventually full-circle to CSE in 1980. In '81 she was sold to RMH Stainless Steel when she began her journey as G-BRMH and which passage ended when she was exported to Belgium in 1996.

My father Dave Brown was the chief engineer at CSE for 43 years ..
Well, if he's still around he should have a sackful of stories surrounding the servicings and shenanigans associated with the aircraft of CSE's many and varied clients some of which you must already know about, so please .. spill the beans lol!

Sav