PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Muharraq, Bahrain 1965 and The Britannia
View Single Post
Old 11th Aug 2011, 17:58
AARON O'DICKYDIDO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nav Rad

I am guessing from your handle that you and I may have been on the same squadron. From Cottesmore I went out on to join 9 Sqn (Vulcan) detachment at Tengah in November 1965. We took off from Lyneham by Britannia late and arrived at Akrotiri in the evening, about 21.00 I seem to remember, where my parents were waiting to see me. (My father was on 103 MU at the time). After a couple of hours on the ground we took off for Muharraq where the Britannia went U/s overnight. Being a lowly LAC I had to stay in transit accomodation which at the time I thought was crap. (Looking back I realised that it was in fact very good trasnsit accomodation compared with that which I had to stay in over my career). Eventually we made it to Gan and again the aircraft went U/s and we spent a wonderful day there but not overnight. We did make it to Changi eventually. I was not yet 18 when I went out east and stayed for 6 months at Tengah and grew up very quickly. I had done a tour at Tengah with my father a few years earlier and thought I knew it all! 35 Squadron took over the detachment in Feb 66. The detachment made 2 deployments to Darwin (NT) while I was there. While on the detachment I won a raffle held by one of the officers coming home and not being able to sell his car. A 1947 Buick 8 I think it was. I could not drive so l sold it - probably for less than the previous owner would accept but to me, I remember, it was a fortune.

Aaron.

Last edited by AARON O'DICKYDIDO; 12th Aug 2011 at 05:45. Reason: To maintain accuracy.