PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - V2 Climb question
View Single Post
Old 11th Aug 2011, 16:07
stormyweathers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No safetypee. I try never to interpret. The question REFERS to I quote: "...there is one particular captain...stating...if you climb at V2 AND LOSE AN ENGINE...you WILL lose too much energy...and DROP BELOW your V2 speed" Therefore he obviously still has his TWO engines. Now the poster wants to know whether that captain's explanation is valid?
If you're at V2 with all engines, and you suddenly lose an engine,(worst case right engine during a right turn) while in a 30 degree turn, you will lose serious lift. You will have to pitch down to recover the lost speed while decreasing the angle of bank to 15 degrees and regain V2. You will lose height as you pitch down to recover.
While with TWO ENGINES, speed is your friend, not your enemy. Use Vy while you can to increase your height. Also, at what angle of bank would you stall at V2? Assuming the right engine fails during a right turn, you might temporarily exceed the 30degrees that you are already in, before recognizing the failure and recovering and might exceed your stall angle...making things a real mess. I think the captain is right and has thought this through carefully.

Last edited by stormyweathers; 11th Aug 2011 at 17:57.