PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's the latest news of the V22 Osprey?
Old 11th Aug 2011, 15:08
SASless

Received 516 Likes on 215 Posts
During its entire time with the Marine Corps and Air Force Special Operations Command, an Osprey has never been brought down because of hostile fire, Whittle says.
Sounds good to the ear doesn't it?

Now let's ask the same old questions.....what data is that comment based upon?

Is there a comparative analysis of exposure rates, numbers of flights in similar circumstances, has the Osprey been exposed to equal risks, have a study been done to critically examine the comparisons?

I think it is plain to all the Chinook and Black Hawk have borne the brunt of operations in Afghanistan and common knowledge also confirms the Marines have been transported by Army Chinooks as well as the Osprey.

To merely say no Osprey has been lost to hostile fire does not tell the whole story....after a thorough analysis of this particular event....one cannot make any valid claim to superiority of one airframe over another. If the Taliban did set a trap as has been suggested by some sources....perhaps the end result would have been the same no matter which aircraft was attempting to enter that valley.

By the way....I haven't lost the plot.....just suggesting there does in fact exist a "plot" to over-sell the Osprey for "political" reasons.

Sans,

You posted while I was writing this post. I just went back using the "Search" feature to locate the exact post Sultan made which kicked off this discussion of the "I Shaft's". Alas, I was unable to find that post either by going back through the thread here or while using the search feature. I wanted to quote that post so we could each see exactly what was posted and thus clarify the issue at hand.

Being unable to do that now.....for what ever reason the post is gone....I hope you will accept my recollection of what Sultan said that prompted my question about the validity of his very vague description of the Shaft System.

I understood him to be comparing the Chinook Synch Shaft, a single long shaft made up of several shorter shafts, that connect the combining gear box to each of the Main Transmissions whose purpose is to drive the main rotors and keep them from meshing....to the Osprey system and was suggesting the Osprey system of shafting was not really needed (or words to that effect) as if there was a failure of the shaft(s) or for reason, the only thing that happened was a cockpit caution/warning light would illuminate.

I am sure in the Osprey such a failure is far more significant than merely lighting up a caution light....which is why I took issue with Sultan's comments.

The Chinook does have a weak link in the the Synch Shaft as if it fails for whatever reason.....the aircraft will self destruct quickly, fatally, and catastropically. That being said.....the old girls have been around for a very long time and are remarkable helicopters.

Likewise, I am sure the Osprey has its Achilles Heels failures as well. Hopefully with the improvements in design and technology as many of these as possible have been elimaated as possible.

I will give your post a good read and get back with a response. No doubt but you have it right. By providing us with the diagram and explanation, you are advancing the discussion and I appreciate it.... I am sure others do as well.

Last edited by SASless; 11th Aug 2011 at 15:32.