PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Passengers in charge of overwing exits.
View Single Post
Old 11th Aug 2011, 03:34
Lookleft

Received 203 Likes on 98 Posts
Well Mr Beelzubub you must've been down to Georgia and been talking to the locals. As far as I am aware other modes of transport are not mandated to demonstrate an evacuation within a specific time period as aircraft are. On the ferry and on other water craft it is always stated that the crew will be assisting in any evacuation. Passengers are not required to look after themselves other than being familiar with the escape routes. They are not told to put a life jacket on and throw themselves over the side. So requiring passengers to operate emergency equipment on an aircraft is abrogating responsibility and I will state again that it is an unproven procedure. The example you give in the SQ incident suggests that the pax were still looking to the F/As for guidance and direction. It also highlights that the training should be more rigorous because the F/A is still responsible. I agree with you about not relying on a 20 yo to get you off but unfortunately airlines are only interested in churning through F/As and not considering experience to be of value.