PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Density and moisture ?
View Single Post
Old 10th Aug 2011, 21:25
Teddy Robinson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Danger as an aside ...

When I was very young just pre-PPL .. I flew in a very overloaded FR172 from a popular holiday island in the Med back to the UK with two owner pilots who should have known better. I sat nessled next to an oversized liferaft, while the baggage compartment was stuffed with suitcases ... oh and a limestone barbacue someone took a fancy to.

The Riems Rocket always looked rather nose heavy with that big 6 cylinder engine ahead of the nosewheel, but on this day adoped a far more nose light attitude .. naturally no loadsheet was done .. big engine .. it always flys was the order of the day ... and so it did, to this day I dare not guess how far out of aft limits.

Curious thing was noted though, every time the aircraft entered cloud a high frequency buffet rang through the airframe, loud and unmistakable, and at the time nobody could figure it out. Then, many years later came my CPL exams and the matter of dencity vs water content was dicussed.

After a bit of reflection, it occurred to me that the buffet was probably the airflow seperating from the tailplane .... hmmm nice.