PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's the latest news of the V22 Osprey?
Old 10th Aug 2011, 21:19
SASless

Received 518 Likes on 216 Posts
Sans,

Having lived smack dab in the middle of the New River training area for the Osprey....and having a wee bit of experience listening to them and other aircraft to include every single helicopter in the military's inventory and those of the UK, France, Italy, and more than a few other countries I know what the Osprey sounds like. As you state in the quote....in cruise mode it is perhaps a bit quieter but in helicopter mode that is another thing altogether. Likewise we are aware of the limits placed upon the aircraft during descent and slow airspeeds while in the "Hover" mode of flight. We also know what avionics are installed as that is not a "secret".

Combine that with the capabilities and method of operation of an RPG....and most normal people you refer to would have reasonable questions as to just how superior the Osprey really is as suggested by your dear friend and colleague "Sultan".

He is the one calling the Chinook noisy, slow, lumbering and obselete. All I am asking is he prove his claim.

Don't give us this "If I tell you I will have to kill you!" hogwash. As usual, you and Sultan cloak yourself in flag and country when challenged to support your comments.

Sultan stated the "interconnect shaft" was excess to need for if it fails on the Osprey all that happens is a Caution Light illuminates. Now I suggest to you that is not a classified system and is not protected by OpSec criteria. If you insist I can hit google and within five minutes give you a full description of the technology and engineering design concept published by Bell-Boeing on the issue.

When asked to substantiate that claim....we hear nothing more from Sultan.

All I asked for is a technical discussion of Tilt Rotor technology that is incorporated into the AW-609 and earlier models of the Bell Tilt Rotor aircraft dating back to probably the 1950's.

Now how about you take a position.....is the Osprey Interconnect Shaft a required item or is it not as Sultan states?

Is that an impossible question for you to answer.....but as we do know the right answer you will find it impossible to answer and side with Sultan at the same time.