PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - S-76D
Thread: S-76D
View Single Post
Old 10th Aug 2011, 20:48
Savoia

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When the S76 'Spirit' entered the market in 1979 numerous corporate (and a smaller number of private) operators were thrilled. Here was a 'business' helicopter the likes of which we had never really seen before. Her sleek styling, bold size and spacious cabin, combined with twin-engine 'reliability' and a smooth ride quickly propelled her into the upper echelons of VIP flight operations becoming (rightly so) queen of the mide-size corporate world where she has remained for many-a-decade.

In recent years the AW139 has given her a run for her money offering more spacious accommodation and a smoother ride along with the latest in cockpit technology and systems management.

The delays in the development of the 'D' model are disappointing for sure, but given Sikorsky's penchant for getting things right eventually, I find it hard to imagine that they will allow such a successful marque to be eroded (even at their own hands!). My confidence in Sikorsky is mixed with hope that they will in fact do the right thing and, I have wondered during the delays surrounding the 'D', what her future market will be.

One issue on my mind over the past decade has been whether the essentially four place club accommodation arrangement is going to continue serving corporate clients with the same satisfaction in the years ahead as it has in the past. Almost everywhere you look (both fixed and rotary - and certainly in the corporate world) demand for increased accommodation is on the rise. From my own assessment I would say that a 6-7 place rear cabin (offering 2-3 seats behind the 'club four' for flunkeys etc. without compromising the club space) would be ideal - some argue that a double club (8 seats) is required but at a similar price to the 76.

No doubt Sikorsky have it all figured-out but I do believe the S76 market has shifted slightly and suspect that private operations may feature increasingly in her future.

Of the 'D' Sikorsky says: "The S-76D is truly the next step in helicopter technology, setting a new standard of excellence that S-76 operators have come to expect. Power and performance are enhanced by all composite main rotor blades and optimized Pratt & Whitney Canada PW210S engines with dual FADEC controls. Its quiet tail rotor will allow for reduced external acoustic signature and gain acceptance with the communities where it operates. Pilots will appreciate the state-of-the-art integrated Thales cockpit, its increased range and its ability to launch into known icing conditions. Passengers will love the quieter cabin."

Promising indeed, especially the news about a 'quiet tail rotor' - anyone with the inside track on how that will work? The traditional S76 tail rotor was one of those masculine properties of the rotary-wing world which prided itself in letting you know an S76 was coming and that it meant business! On the ground at flight idle the tail rotor screamed an attention which probably only helicopter pilots and mechanics could love but which would often set the hearts of boarding passengers racing (great fun for the drivers but not always appreciated by 'he who pays the bills').

Onwards with the 'D', some of the additional features advertised by Sikorsky are:

- QUIETZONE® main transmission

- Quiet Tail Rotor (QTR) with four enhanced flaw-tolerant, flexbeam composite tail rotor blades

- Two brushless, DC starter generators

Can anyone elaborate on what a 'Quietzone' transmission is and educate me on what the substitute for brushes are on a brushless generator?

Will HUMS be standard fit or optional?

Much of the work (so I understand) has been about integrating the PW210's and delivering that all important combination of performance and economy.

I hope that the outcome of the delay on this programme is that the industry receives an outstanding piece of equipment.