PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How to convert UK PPL to South African
View Single Post
Old 1st Dec 2001, 15:37
wheels up

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Essentially correct, we do validations for UK pilots frequently up here in Jhb. You need to have a current UK licence and medical, pass an air law exam (open book), validate your radio licence (a matter of presenting your UK radio licence and the appropriate fee.)

You will need to pass a nav / GF test, although the requirement for the validation test is at the discretion of the testing instructor. Generally he/she wants to see that you are able to navigate, communicate and generally aviate safely.

I would suggest a dual familiarisation flight before attempting the test - radio procedures and local navigation need some familiarisation.

I disagree that the issue of the licence takes 3 months. It generally takes 1-2 hours for the licence to be issued if you take it in personally. If this is not possible I would advise using an overnight courier service and speak to Mrs Oosthuysen at the CAA. I have generally found the CAA licencing dept. to be helpful and friendly - a vast improvement on the situation a couple of years back.

I don't know what the rates are down in CT but our Turbo Arrow (PA28R-201T) goes for R695 p/hr wet. That works out at about 50 pounds/hr. Our C172s hire at R500 p/h wet which is about 36 pounds / hr at current exchange. Go figure.

Look at aeropages.co.za for some flying school links in the CT area. For some real fun head out to the Cape Gliding Club at Worcester (about 100km from CT) and try ridge/wave/thermal soaring in one of their gliders or motor gliders. Awesome.

Woof

[ 01 December 2001: Message edited by: woof etc ]

[ 01 December 2001: Message edited by: woof etc ]