PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - HEMS - Regulations and saving life
View Single Post
Old 17th Oct 2002, 14:29
PPRUNE FAN#1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stan wrote:
This really has nothing to do with the gist of the discussion, but in point of fact in the US public use aircraft -i.e., those operated by any government entity, are not & legally cannot be regulated by the FAA. The FAR's simply do not apply. The entity operating the aircraft may, & usually do, choose to follow the regulations. It's the same for military, police, or any other government entity. Pilots of government-operated, public-use aircraft are normally immune from lawsuits & prosecution, & in point of fact aren't even required to have a pilot's license.

That was exactly my point, old chap! It's all very well and good to proclaim someone a "hero" and then add (for dramatic effect?) and he broke every rule in the book doing it! But that's not always the case, and I don't think it was with the Air Florida crash/rescue either.

We've become such a paranoid, milquetoast society that we think anything out of the ordinary must necessarily be against the rules. You know, Stan, the old if it's not specifically permitted, then it must be prohibited. Sad.