PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crash near Bude, Cornwall: 24th July 2011
Old 10th Aug 2011, 10:11
AnFI

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
.... it's not over till the problem is solved

It's not about willy waiving...

... the fact that Crab confirms he has less hours/years/appropriate experience should not diminish the value of his input... he'd love to solve it or understand it just as much as any right minded person would...

He is making IMHO the common mistake which I have tried to highlight:

80% of people can look out of the window and interpret reasonably accurately what they are seeing. It is of course completely unsurprising that Crab cannot understand that some pilots cannot use those cues which he does not consciously realise he is using.

Perhaps he (and all of you) might give some thought to expressing exactly what process you do use...

That is those of you who can and do understand how to alter course/slow/ descend or stop in the face of any conditions which might arise... in order to maintain VR .... this is a key task in VRF (Visual Reference Flying - which is a technique)... If people were able to do this then they would probably chose that over death .... don't you think? ( Are you perhaps someone who cannot... ?)

A starting point is to look at the CAA report into DVE (15 yrs study? With analysis of some of the cues used ... 'Tau' for instance) - read that first ... get up to speed then let's try making a more intelligent comment than put downs and insults to the dead..... (if you think my hurried explanation is impenetrable read that first then come back to me!)

Crab - just try analysing/expressing what you do (sub-consciously) use to stay visual ... try to do it from an imperative of maintaining VR and (if you can) compensate for your own excessive exposure/reliance on IRF .... remember the mil expose their pilots to IRF very early as 'the solution' .... inappropriate advice from experts in inappropriate fields of aviation can be dangerous...

why do I bother? - because I care...