PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mr Petter's Baby Jet - The Folland Gnat
View Single Post
Old 10th Aug 2011, 07:41
BEagle

Received 271 Likes on 110 Posts
NutherA2, I wonder whether the STUPRECCC drill was changed after your event? 'T' stood for 'trim to the safe/ideal sector on the FTPI' rather than 'load free' and 'E' included exhausting the tail accumulator 1½-2½ (gear up) or 5½-6½ (gear down) - I think?

My QFI gave me a HYD failure just as we broke into the circuit once from 500ft and 360+ KIAS - the clangers went off just as I pitched into the break. But the STUPRECCC drill worked fine.

I'm sure that QFIs watched student antics very carefully under such circumstances - but you knew you were doing well when your QFI was brave enough to let you fly a night manual roller....at Mona!

However, mistakes were still being made. Stn Cdr 'Tojo' had a HYD fail on take-off just after retracting the landing gear. He then closed the throttle and put the gear down without doing the STUPRECCC drill first. No Datum Shift, so the jet immediately plunged towards Treaddur Bay....with an innocent passenger in the back. Fortunately as it accelerated it had just enough pitch authority to level out and start to climb before he remembered the Stby Trim... Tojo flew the Hunter by preference thereafter.

Great little jet, STUPRECCC and CUBSTUNT notwithstanding!