PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 wreckage found
View Single Post
Old 10th Aug 2011, 05:13
RWA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quoting Man Flex:-

"Also very telling is the autothrust disconnect, the realisation that climb thrust has been inadvertantly applied and then the subsequent reduction in thrust.

"The PF didn't want to climb otherwise he would have remained in climb thrust."
Not sure that I follow that, Man Flex? Up to now it's been my understanding that, with autothrust operating, 'Climb' is the 'default setting' for cruise flight, and the next setting down is 'Idle'? Surely they wouldn't have been using the 'next-up' setting - 'Max. Continuous' - in normal cruise?

Quoting CONFiture:-

I would think he did MOVE the THR LVRs, fast enough that it's not showing on the thrust lever FDR trace. A quick move out of the CLB detent and back into it.
Just from reading, that's the correct procedure, as far as I know - except that, once the autothrust has signed off, I'd expect that the pilots are supposed to use the throttle levers 'normally' - that is, move them forward or back to adjust the power, presumably by reference to the N1 gauges? Again as I understand it, in the absence of the autothrust, just using the 'Climb' detent could have been either too much for the situation or insufficient to maintain level flight?

That raises another point. We know that, in response to the stall warning, the PF carried out the prescribed drill at that time; that is, applied TO/GA power. But at some later time - typically, the BEA doesn't tell us when - the levers appear to have been pulled right back to the 'Idle' detent.

I'd appreciate some guidance from those who know. Obviously - now that the 'stall avoidance' procedure has been revised - we know that TO/GA power was probably too much. But it seems to me, as a mere amateur pilot - mostly with no engines at all! - that while 'TO/GA' was very probably too much, 'Idle' (which I understand is only 55% power, virtually none in a jet) might very well not have been enough (given that by that time the aircraft was genuinely in a deep stall) to give them any reasonable chance of regaining flying speed?

I DO hope that, even though they can't actually be trained in 'stall recovery' in a real aeroplane, Airbus pilots are at least taught to use the throttles in a conventional way if the autothrust is off; that is (I presume) to follow the power gauges, NOT just use the detents?