PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - COVENTRY
Thread: COVENTRY
View Single Post
Old 10th Aug 2011, 01:38
jabird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll also vouch for Skypartner's knowledge - very much down to earth, he's not an ivory towers guy!

As I've said before, I think another loco at CVT is unlikely, but I won't give up hope.

As for those 738's with harps on the tailfin - they have repeatedly gone on about airport handling fees being one of their biggest drivers. Look at the spat with MAN - the deal was on, then it was off, then the money was good, so in they came. We've seen BHX offer time-limited base deals before, maybe they've learnt this time, maybe they haven't. Short runways have not stopped airlines using CVT before - even with a few less pax under certain conditions, the economics could still work - as could flights to nearer destinations. I'd still appreciate a technical breakdown on this - where would be in / out on a hot summer's day?

I don't think baby will be around forever, and BE are very much a city-city airline (perhaps they could launch JER) - so that leaves Jet2 - also previously discussed as unlikely, but not beyond the realms of possibility.

CVT is a good airport that just won't be able to attract business because 1) the terminal (thanks to Warwickshire planners
Slight correction - the airport comes under the remit of Warwick District Council.

is not big or impressive enough (it is very unimpressive)
Which makes CVT the perfect Ryanairport - apart from the runway issue!

But really the reason it is not a successful airport is because the planners have stymied any intelligent proposals for its improvement, because they don't want it there.
Easy to blame them, but I think there's more to it than that. TOM had a reputation for poor customer service at CVT, which became a self-fulfilling prophecy.

My understanding is that a new terminal handling upto 1m pax pa could be built, but my concern would now be about the temporary permission for the current portakabins expiring.

BHX has mainline rail connections, I'm not a Brummy by any means but BHX is just so damn convenient to get to/from and use ... why would I, and others, want to change?
A tired argument for any of us who want to see CVT work! BHX mgt also seem to think ppl from London will travel out on HS2 to use their regional facilities! Much as though I'm an avid train-geek, the sad fact is that most people don't use them to get to airports - less than 20% @ BHX. BHX's rail link isn't direct to terminal, and it isn't 24 hrs - so as someone living halfway between BHX & CVT, I have often used a taxi to get to/from BHX.

Where CVT really failed was in bringing in pax from Germany, who do expect some sort of public transport - and not having any kind of link to the city centre whatsoever.

So if we do see pax flights @CVT again, then I hope that mistake isn't repeated - but I'm afraid the former is still a very big if.