PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Simplest VFR route into Essendon
View Single Post
Old 9th Aug 2011, 22:46
UnderneathTheRadar
When you live....

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
I tend to plan entry in these situations that gives me maximum options relating to the lowest cloud base.Kallkallo looks like an airspace infrigement waiting to happen!

I cant see any route west of the city for a low cloud base situation, so my thinking was wagga..mangalore ..kilmore.. then sugarloaf reservoir followed by an entry requst from doncaster shops or albert park.
I always put in a flight plan ,so that will help.

I appreciate a higher altitude clearance from further out would be simple, but that plan seems subject to weather variation, and whatever rwy was being used at Melbourne.The last thing i'd want is to be asked by ATC to fly somewhere novel or unkown at the last minute.

It looks like you need a cloud base of 3400 to 3600 ft around kilmore...is that the usual safe level
Good on you for asking! I think your best approach is to have some 'expected' tracks and options but not to be so rigidly planned that you get thrown if something out of the blue happens.

Whilst Melbourne wx can be dodgy, if you can get out of CB then you can usually get into Melbourne.

Your idea of getting as high as you can then requesting clearance when approaching the 4500' (or even higher) steps should be your first option - if the weather permits you to be that high and they give it to you then life becomes easy. If the weather permits and they say no, don't be afraid to ask there and then where clearance would be available from - it's gets them thinking about you and an opportunity might just pop up.

Getting through the Kilmore gap can be a struggle if it's your first time and the cloud is low. I know those who think that following the lights of the cars on the highway is ok but practically at least 1000' of clearance between the ground and base would be recommended for first timers. Again, use ATC - as you approach Mangalore, if it looks iffy at all, ask ATC for the latest AWIS for the Kilmore Gap - it gives cloud base AND for any reports they can give you for other planes in the area. A controller who isn't flat out will often call up traffic they can see in the lane and ask for in-flight conditions for you.

There is an alternative route to the gap to the west. If at Mangalore (or preferably further north so you don't bust Puckapunyal restricted airspace), turn right and head for Kyneton and head south from there. The terrain looks not so flash but a south westerly flow causing low cloud in the gap will often see significantly higher bases west of Mount Macedon. If you get to Kyneton and aren't happy then Bendigo is close and a reasonable place to sit it out.

In all cases, ATC is your friend - they're not able to be as helpful as they used to be due to airspace changes and rule and stuff (gone are the days of VFR clearances over Melbourne) - but if you do the right thing by them, then they should be able to help. The right thing by them is:
- clear, confident, concise calls - i.e. not "ahhh Melbourne ahhhh centre ahhhh...." that clogs the airwaves and gives them no confidence. Remember, when in controlled airspace, if you deviate from a clearance and cause an incident they're likely to be stood down for at least for a while. 100% guarantee that the intial radio call that indicates you're in command and know what you're doing will get a much better response than one which makes the controller think you're trouble just waiting to occur.
- asking for help if you need it (i.e. if they do clear you somewhere unknown, don't just agree and then spend 10 minutes looking at a map trying to find it - try "Sorry, unfamiliar with the area, can you give me more information" - that will often get you a heading to follow.
- situational awareness - always keep track of where you are so that you can be ready for new tracking instructions etc. Also, if it all does go pear-shaped and you do bust CTA, pipe up straight away and say so.

Good luck!

UTR