PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BOAC Sports Festival at Heston Airport
View Single Post
Old 9th Aug 2011, 19:19
Speedbird48

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lawrence,

I was a boy at Denham in the 1950's and before the Airways Aero Club moved out to Croydon. The Dragon G-ACIT did not fly very often but I seem to remember Ron Gillman flying it fairly often. It sat in the hangar with the wings folded the rest of the time. He took it to a Redhill Breakfast Patrol one Sunday morning with a full load of passengers. The Redhill folks thought it was a Rapide going into Gatwick so didn't intercept it and they all got free breakfasts!!
The picture doesn't look like Denham but the Magisters in the background would make it seem so. There is a very hurt Maggie in the background and I can't quite make out the registration. Does the original show it better??
There was a small hangar at Heston to the East, and behind the tower where Airways Aero Club stored some aircraft. I went in there once and saw several Magisters, Aeronca 100's and others I can't remember.
I also saw a Swiss registered Bonanza at Heston and that would have been after 1951 so he may have been the last to land there?? He had missed Croydon??
Speedbird 48.