PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aviation Australia Certificate II in Flight Operations (Cabin Crew)
Old 9th Aug 2011, 17:12
givemewings

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
agree.... save the $$$

BTS, great that you got the job you love, but to be honest, they probably would have hired you anyway. NOt all airlines hire only experienced people.

I was in a smiliar position once, was like banging my head on a brick wall trying to get any interviews, I ended up actually doorknocking the airlines with CV in hand, working my way around the airport and sending emails to cabin crew managers asking if they would give me some advice regarding my experience and whether they thought it was enough.

To be honest the interview part you can get just the same by going to a good job support centre (most Centrelink offices have the contact details) you might need to provide them with some aviation-specifi interview questions but usually they will be more than happy to give you a coaching session or two. I found at least two to three hundred questions on the internet, If you have been to uni or tafe in the past, they will usually provide you some interview coaching & CV help as well.

In my opinion, the only real advantage that AA have is connections- they know people and in this industry that is gold.

My break came funnily enough, through a travel agent who happened to know one of the crew managers at a local airline and then a chance meeting with another cabin manager while waiting around the airport to catch the same flight.

I think you'd be far better off to save the $5000, do the required courses, spend it on a good suit for your interview, and maybe even take a short trip somewhere overseas to pick up a bit of culture & experience. Even if you haven't worked in the airlines before, travel is a great eye opener & shows independence and that you can cope on your own.

I have worked with a couple of AA 'graduates' in the past- one of them spent a LONG time looking for a cabin crew job & eventually went on to something else as they got discouraged having spent all that money to show nothing, the other flew for 2 airlines for about a year then left to have a baby I think. So, it can work for some but I would say do it as a last resort. Give yourself a year to go it your way then try the course.

I do remember someone mentioning here quite a while back that a local Tafe college somewhere had or was going to have a cabin crew course, very similar to what AA does, with access to cabin mockups and a tie-up with a local airline, don't know where or who but could be useful to Google- Tafe will be much much more cost effective as they are not really run for profit.

Good luck!