PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight Planning Software
View Single Post
Old 9th Aug 2011, 15:51
IO540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You need to first ask yourself where you want to fly.

If you want to fly VFR all over Europe, as I did 2002-2005, then goode olde Navbox Pro is the best option, despite it being old and clunky. It has good accurate coverage, and nice things like contact details for airports, on just a click on the airport.

PocketFMS is another option which I need to get around trying, but my VFR flight planning requirement has gone way down since I got the IR in 2006 and did all foreign trips under IFR (other than trivia like Le Touquet).

FliteStar is a program I use for IFR, for plotting out IFR enroute charts (described here) but I can't recommend it for VFR. It is no better than anything else in terms of chart quality unless you buy the Raster Charts add-on CD (which is an electronic version of the Jepp "VFR/GPS" printed charts) but you can only view the chart on the PC and print off one screen at a time; there is no way to print a series of them to cover a planned route (AFAIK) like one can do so effortlessly from the built-in (IFR, mostly) mapdata.

The weather accessible in FS is all accessible for free on the internet.

If you fly mostly just UK, then Skydemon is a nice product.

None of the above options (except possibly FS with the RC add-on) do away with the need to buy the printed charts for MSA and CAS route planning.