PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 5
View Single Post
Old 9th Aug 2011, 08:29
rudderrudderrat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks jimjim1 for that lucid explanation.

So even in ALT2 Law, it would have been useless to hold the stab trim stationary by hand - since the computers would simply displace the elevators to a new "null position" and "trim the new attitude". Longitudinal speed stability is still not returned, hence no feed back of feeling slow and hence heavy in pitch

@DozzyWannabe.
Twitchy my foot. Control at altitude is about very small, corrective movements until you get a feel for how the aircraft is responding (even this "know-all", "office-chair" non-pilot knows that much - and no, that is not directed at you... ) - he was mashing the stick halfway to the stops from the get-go, so much so that the PNF repeatedly chastised him for it.
I wish I was as good as you. You make it sound so easy. Please see:
http://www.pprune.org/tech-log/376433-af447-132.html post 2632.
I have flown an A330 in ALT2 due to a twin ADR disagree situation (one blocked pitot + a different failed ADR) and I was quite surprised at how rapidly the aircraft banked versus the normal roll rate. It also exibited a strong natural tendency to return to wings level with the stick neutral. It is very easy to overbank in ALT2 law.