PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crash near Bude, Cornwall: 24th July 2011
Old 9th Aug 2011, 04:58
[email protected]

Received 623 Likes on 271 Posts
You agree with that?.... great, your choice, your life....
b) Crab is an IMC pilot ... (of a stabilised, autopiloted A/C)
c) has very limited experience (with negative success) of civil instruction.
d) Has military self confidence in his military background... believes that civilians cannot possibly know what they are talking about ... etc.
AnFI - just to clarify;

a. I have many hours in IMC in an unstabilised single (Gazelle AH1 - single pilot) as well as many more in stabilised autopiloted aircraft doing full procedural IF.

b. I do have limited civil instruction but 3000 hours of my 8000 total (in 29 years of flying) is instructional time in every role from basic student, through instructing instructors, to teaching and examining operational SAR techniques which, funnily enough, involve very poor weather flying day and night over land and sea and including mountains.

c. I do have confidence in my training and abilities because they are tested on a daily basis. I do not think civilians cannot know what they are talking about but I do have a great deal of experience flying with many gifted (and some not so) pilots and have a pretty good grasp of what happens to them when their capacity limit is reached, especially in poor weather.

I can only hope your ability to explain basic helicopter techniques to your students is better than your attempt to explain VR here.

We have gone a bit off-piste here talking about white-out in snow - the basic premise of this thread has been scud-running or pushing on in worsening visibility and lowering cloudbase and the decision making process required to turn back/land/hover rather than end up IIMC followed by achieving the ground/air interface in a less than fashionable attitude.

Weather appreciation, both in terms of understanding a forecast and in recognising unexpected deterioration and reacting to it are fundamentals for safe VFR flight - perhaps it is this element that needs to be drummed into pilots more thoroughly - proper pre-flight planning considering the what-ifs rather than 'kick the tyres, light the fires and go'. How many low time pilots on a VFR transit have even thought about an alternate LS or a bad weather plan?

Last edited by [email protected]; 9th Aug 2011 at 05:08.