PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 5
View Single Post
Old 9th Aug 2011, 04:30
deSitter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Case closed

Smilin_Ed said
Trimming is not difficult and, for a pilot worthy of being called a pilot, it is a natural activity which is so routine that it is done almost unconsciously. I have flown aircraft with the pitch trim on the yoke, on the stick, and on the console. I never found it a burden to activate any of them. I prefer it on the stick or yoke since that does free up the other hand, but the difference is really not material. What I don't want is having the system changing the trim when I want to remain trimmed for a particular speed or AoA. In the case of AF447, the system gave up and turned it over to the people seated in the cockpit, except they didn't turn over everything and I believe that situation makes it more difficult to hand-fly. Autotrim has its place, but not in my cockpit when I am trying to hand-fly.

This is just conclusive. There is nothing else to argue about. I don't know why the apologists for automation cannot simply admit that they are wrong, or at least to admit defeat and claim that they are right anyway, as a face-saving maneuver.