PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas on You Tube
View Single Post
Old 9th Aug 2011, 03:46
spelling_nazi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is a glimmer of hope for journalism in Australia...posted with permission ....

"G'day,

Thankyou for leaving feedback after watching Topher's Spotlight - QANTAS, and in particular thankyou for taking the time to explain your grievances with the video.

This video was my first attempt at a 'fast turnaround' video. My previous docos (the 'Unpopular View' series, about water politics) each took 5-8 weeks and cost over $10,000 (once you count my time, which I of course gave for free) to produce. Given that I drive a forklift in a warehouse to pay my weekly bills and receive no external funding, this cost is prohibitive and has limited me to producing only two videos a year. I decided to try a new 'fast turnaround' format to cut production time and costs.

The video you saw was produced in a few days and at a fraction of the usual cost, and as you have pointed out in your feedback, it shows.

I apologise for the factual errors contained in the video and the lack of depth in the research. It will not happen again.

To right this situation I will be making another video about QANTAS, produced my 'old' way. Weeks of research, hunting out source documents and asking hard questions. I intend to investigate questions such as the possible 'cooking of the books' by QANTAS to shift profit from QF to Jetstar, ask how QFInternational could go from reporting a $150Mill profit to a $200Mill loss so quickly AND to set the record straight on exactly what it is that AIPA are demanding.

I can't promise you'll like what I find or the conclusions I draw, but I do promise I'll do everything in my power to get to the bottom of these issues and answer as many of the tough questions as I can.

Feel free to reply with any further thoughts and in particular any leads you may have which could assist my research. Feel free also to pass this email address on to others in the industry who may be able to assist.
[email protected]

Regards,

Topher."