PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Should the c150/152 be used for training?
Old 9th Aug 2011, 00:41
Genghis the Engineer

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Big_Buddha36
Ok, let me put it another way, you're asked to instruct in a c152. The fuel is as it is, you have no means of lifting fuel out but with 2 on board, you're out of limits. Do you take the lesson?
When we were flying the C150/C152 safety study that was reported in the winter 2010 GASCo Flight safety, myself and my research colleage several times drove a couple of hours to fly an aeroplane, checked fuel, weight and balance, turned around and drove back again because we couldn't fly in weight limits.

To be fair CG is rarely an issue, and weight is less severe. But as a flight safety researcher, and more recently as an instructor, what sort of example would I be setting if I fly knowingly out of limits.

(Mind you, if you are writing flight test reports which include weight and balance data, that you know will eventually be read by CAA, it concentrates the mind!)

Yes, it's a pain, but hardly an incurable one. Solutions include shorter sorties, careful fuel planning, not refuelling after flight only before, and a C172 !

G