PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - [N]PPL(M) --> NPPL(SSEA) Training gap analysis
Old 9th Aug 2011, 00:20
Genghis the Engineer

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts
Thanks for that MrMum, perhaps we should stay in touch - here or otherwise. My first is likely to be in September.

I've been jotting down some thoughts (and in context CPL and CRI notwithstanding, I still have rather more microlight than "group A" hours so hope I have a reasonable idea of what your average club microlight pilot is like ability-wise.) I've also flown with the chap previously in a microlight so have a reasonable idea of his strengths and weaknesses.

It seems likely to me that the main gaps in a microlight pilots knowledge compared to the NPPL(SSEA) pass standard will be:

(1) Use and nature of light aircraft printed checklists, and scheduling of checks within the typical light aeroplane circuit

(2) Use of a reliable POH, use of operating data within that POH, carrying out W&CG calculations

(3) Use of navaids: obvious ones being DI, VOR, NDB and ILS (Yes, I really did say DI, not found on pretty much any microlight where yacht compasses are more normal).

(4) Flight by reference to instruments (use of AI, use of pitot heat and confirming above IMC to get out of loss of VMC)

(5) Use of printed PLOG in some cases, and whizz-wheel in most cases, for flight planning.

(6) Use of carb heat and mixture

(7) RT about busy airports.

Stalling, PFLs, low-speed handling, EFATO should all be pretty sharp although some microlight pilots seldom or never have used flaps. Note that to most microlight pilots a PFL is flown to start of roundout, and a steep turn is 60 not 45 degrees.

I'm sketching out the following profile at the moment which looks likely to take about 6 hours (and doubtless will all get changed mid-stream):

(0) Prior groundschol, use of POH, checklist, instrument layout, couple of ciruits at the end

(1) Aircraft famil, aircraft and engine handling, checks, using (and not using) instruments

(2) Navex using instruments, bit of flying by reference to AI

(3) Circuits

(4) Stalling and emergencies

(5) Possibly borrow something that'll legally spin and do a spin famil if student wishes, failing that further stalling and emergencies.

(6) Mock GFT and NST.

G