PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Japan (AJX) B767
View Single Post
Old 8th Aug 2011, 23:34
The Dominican

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It sounds like they have given two extra days off to commute, but you now have to show up for duty atleast a day early? Is that correct? For someone coming from the USA (east coast) does that have much of an effect on the "normal" commute? I'd assume that getting there a day early would be the norm anyways??
Arriving the day before is the normal commute from the US because it would be insane to commute across 15 time zones and then start one of our infamous 14 to 15 hour duties, only guys that commute from S.E. Asia or commutes that don't cross many time zones (no jet lag issues) are the ones that are affected by the new commuting rules.

how many days could I expect to be home with the commute and all.....
Lets say that you choose the commuting days option and you also use your vacation days monthly, you will get 10 days off + 2 Commuting days + 2 vacation days making it 14 days off in a row, you will get 12 days at home and spend two days commuting.

--Also, for those that have accepted the job, especially if furloughed with no other options in this job climate... How is the being away from wife and kid for 3 weeks at a time? I know different strokes for different folks, but for me I think I'd be excited for the new job with international destinations, new a/c etc...But I'd be afraid that as the first or second year went by I'd be more and more disgruntled at the time away...anyone having any hard times accepting that with no other job prospects, the time away may be the norm for a very long time?
There are many guys here that are on their second and third contracts, most of us are married with families. It is aviation man, being away is part of the gig and I only can say that it has worked out for me and that my family and I have adjusted to the life style but it is impossible for me to tell you how it will work out for you or how disgruntled you will be two years down the road, If I could do that I would be making a lot of money with a 1-800 psychic hotline

--How's the hiring prospects at ANA?
Hiring is ongoing

Are they hurting for applicants still?
Yes
Any rumors of downsizing at all?
No

Besides the online app. I have very easy access to drop by Honolulu to persoanlly drop of my stuff. I'd hope this would be a good thing and increase any chance to get hired??
I honestly think that it won't make any difference so safe your money, the agencies only gather the information for ANA and they choose who they want to interview

--Finally, training...Is family still able to come out atleast once? Or more....the 6 months of training is probably one of my biggest fears of being away unless the family can visit once or twice..
Your spouse can travel twice during the six month period and you siblings once during that period, they offer apartments to the new guys so technically your family can stay for the duration of their visa (90 days)